SCHOLARSHIPS, TESTING, FINANCIAL AID, AND STUDENT OPPORTUNITIES
The Rudy J. & Annamae Labor Memorial Scholarship Fund - This fund provides scholarships for past graduates and graduating seniors of the Philipsburg-Osceola Area High School who will be attending South Hills School of Business and Technology for the upcoming school year. Scholarship application forms are available by clicking on the scholarship link at www.southhills.edu or stop in the Counseling Office for more information. Deadline to apply for the five $10,000 scholarships is May 1, 2014.
United Steelworkers Hugh Carcella Scholarship Program - Six, four year $4,000 scholarships, will be awarded to a child of a member of the United Steelworkers, District 10, local union or the child of a disabled retiree or deceased member. To be eligible you must get the application from the local union. Deadline to apply is March 15, 2014.
Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week - Sophomores and Juniors who possess a sincere desire to learn about the American enterprise system, have the endorsement of a teacher or counselor. Must complete two essays stating why they would like to participate, as well as have extracurricular activities and scholarship achievements. Deadline to apply is March 7, 2014. Information is available in the Counseling Office. There is a $235 non-refundable application fee.
Burdette.Larson Scholarship at Penn State's College of Education - First preference is given to students from West Branch High School; however, students who are legal residents of Clearfield County are also strongly encouraged to apply. Students who receive the scholarships are eligible to have the award renewed, up to four years at $11,000 a year provided that eligibility conditions continue to be met and funds are available. Apply online at http://ed.psu.edu/educ/current-students/financial-aid/scholarship-applications-procedure.
2014 Young Entrepreneur Award - Graduating seniors who operate their own small business are eligible to receive a Young Entrepreneur Award. For more information visit www.NFIB.com/YEA. Deadline to apply is December 18.
Pennsylvania American Legion Scholarships - The following scholarships can be found at http://pa-legion.com/programs/student-programs/ :
1. Essay contest - open to any student in grades 9-12 who is enrolled in a PA school.
2. Oratorical contest - Open to any student in grade 9-12 who is enrolled in a PA school.
3. Sebastianelli Drum Corps Scholarship - Open to any senior who is a child or grandchild of a PA Legionnaire living or deceased. The student must be a member of the high school band and going on to higher education with a major in music.
4. Joseph Gavenonis Scholarship - Open to PA high school senior who is child of a PA Legionnaire. The student needs to be seeking a four year degree in a PA college or university.
5. Robert Valimont Endowment - Open to any PA high school senior who is child of PA Legionnaire. The student needs to be seeking a two year career-oriented education or training in a less-than-four-year program in a PA school.
6. Robert Trace Essay Contest - Open to students 15-18 years of age who is a child or grandchild of a PA Legionnaire living or deceased or child of a Pennsylvania soldier killed as a result of war on terrorism. Essay required on the topic "Patriotism and Citizenship - What American means to me?".
DuBois Business College Scholarship - All incoming students may apply for this scholarship. It is a one-quarter tuition scholarship with four offered at each campus. Interested students must provide DBC with written notification of intent to apply; the application materials will then be provided. The deadline to apply is April 15th.
University of Pittsburgh Health Careers Scholars Academy - Applicants must be a current Sophomore or Junior. Student, if accepted, must be committed to being in residence for the full 29 day program which does not allow trips home or other absences. Completed application must be returned by February 15, 2014.
Pennsylvania School for Global Entrepreneurship (former Governor's School) - Applicants must be a current Sophomore or Junior. Applicants are asked to demonstrate academic achievement, an interest in business, international relations or economic development, and a record of leadership and service activities. Deadline to apply is February 15, 2014.
Pennsylvania Association of Community Bankers Foundation Scholarship - Applicant must be a high school Senior who is a dependent child of an employee working at one of the member banking institutions. Student must be planning to enroll as a full-time student in an accredited university. Applications are available in the counseling office and deadline to apply is February 5, 2014.
Financial Aid - Students may apply online for federal financial aid after Jan 1st at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
StudentAid.gov is a new website that provides straightforward and easy-to-understand information about planning and paying for college. This site is fully accessible on tablets and smartphones. They have also launched a Twitter feed at www.Twitter.com/FAFSA and a Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/FederalStudentAid to offer alternative options to learn about the student aid process.